Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Young love...


The other night dinner we questioned MiniMe about her rumoured boyfriend...

Me: MiniMe, do you play much with Mike?
MiniMe, grins sheepishly: Why do you want to know?
So immediately we know something is up.
U2: Do people in you class have boyfriends?
MiniMe: Yes
U2: Do you?
MiniMe: No
Me: Does someone in your class think they are your boyfriend?
MiniMe: Yes.

We then got a run down on who was whose boyfriend/girlfriend (One boy had two girlfriends!). Intriguing what goes on in Kindergarten! When we asked what this all meant, MiniMe informed us that it just meant that you played with this boy more that the others.

U2 jokingly told her she had to wait until she was 24 to have a boyfriend but then revised this to 16. My aunt and uncle have a policy that their son (13) isn't allowed to have a girlfriend till he is 14 and it was interesting once talking to him about this. He got it and was totally fine with it. It started me thinking about what we will do when boys enter our lives as more that just friends. I started then I stopped, putting it into the pile that could wait till later.

We have a way to go before I think we need to be thinking about this but those with older children, did you have an age that your children where allowed to have a 'boyfriend/girlfriend'? Did you as a teenager?

1 comment:

  1. Such a good post. I'm not sure when our girls got boyfriends, I think around 13 or 14. Nothing to worry about though! It was the 16 and 17 year old ages I started to stress.

    When it comes to our young lads, I really haven't given it any thought But perhaps if we tell them they can't date until they're 24, they might just get use to the idea!

    xx

    ReplyDelete