Last week I went to the shops for the first time in awhile and I came back with only my groceries. I visited two other shops for items I needed but I did not verve off course. It was liberating! It felt good not to come home with clutter or guilt over my purchases.
What has changed I hear you ask? As of the 1st February I am attempting to buy nothing new for a year. MultipleMum spoke about not buying anything new for a year and I am going to try it out. So far so good.
The rules (directly from Compact the group that seems to be the originator of the idea and MutipleMum):
1. Don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
2. Borrow or buy used.
There are a few exceptions using the "fair and reasonable person" standard -- i.e., you'll know in your heart when you're rationalizing a violation:
- Food, drink, and necessary medicine (no elective treatments such as Viagra or Botox)
- Necessary cleaning products, but not equipment (don't go out and buy the Dyson Animal, for example).
- Socks and underwear (utilitarian--non-couture or ornamental) - Pajamas for the children
- Utilitarian services (plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, veterinarians, dog/house-sitters, fire/paramedics, dry cleaners, house cleaners, etc.) but you should support local and encourage used parts (rebuilt transmission, salvaged headlight unit, etc.)
- Recreational services (massage, etc.) & local artisanal items - Good sources for gifts, but should not be over-indulged in for personal gratification
- Charitable contributions - a great source for gifts
- Plants and cut flowers - Whenever possible, cultivate from free cuttings or seeds. But if you have to, purchase from local businesses (i.e., not Bunnings)--and again, within reason
- Art supplies - First line of attack: SCRAP. When absolutely necessary (for the professionals and talented amateurs in the group), from local businesses
- Magazines, newspapers, Netflix - renewals only, no new subscriptions. Even better to consume online.
- DVD rentals and downloadable music files (non-material) -- freely shared and legal, please
A few weeks in and it is going well. Having said that I did buy a few things at the end of January, knowing what is ahead. Lets wait till a few months down the track when the present box is empty and I want a new pair of jeans.....