Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

It's not about me...

'It's not about me' has become my new mantra.

JollyJumper has a cold and was struggling to sleep last night. All I wanted to do was be in bed and have some quiet. I kept thinking this is not what I want to be doing.

But then my new catchphrase managed to worm its way into the front of my thoughts. Right at that moment being a mother was not about what I wanted, it was about looking after the needs of my sad little girl. It wasn't about me, it was about her.

And most of the time that is what being a mother (or father) is about. A lot of the time it is about putting aside what makes you the most comfortable and doing what is best for your child. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes it isn't. But I guess that is what is means to love someone whole-heartedly.

What helps you get through the harder parenting moments?

2 comments:

  1. Prayer - asking God for patience and gentleness. Talking with my husband about it afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think Jesus championed the 'its not about me' idea!

    ReplyDelete